Please call 754-277-4120 to schedule an appointment at our convenient location in Fort Lauderdale. Dr. Michael Frederick also serves the surrounding Broward County towns of Weston, Hollywoood and Cooper City. We also welcome patients from the Miami area, including Aventura and Coral Gables. Dr. Frederick also has strong ties to our Palm Beach neighbors from Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter.
At Le Spa Plastic Surgery in Fort Lauderdale, Michael Frederick MD provides labiaplasty procedures and other plastic surgery services to help women reclaim their feminine strength and feel good about themselves and their bodies. Book a personal consultation with Dr. Frederick to discuss your needs privately with the professionals. To find out if a labiaplasty is the procedure for you, please call our office directly at (754) 277-4120 or fill out our short online form.
As modern women, we’re confident, self-assured, and proud of our bodies. We know what to wear to make us look and feel great, we take care of ourselves by living healthily, we look after our skin, and we take pride in the body features we love. However, for many women, there’s a part of the body that can elicit embarrassment. For some women, how their vulva looks can lead to feelings of shame and insecurity. Labia minora that protrude past the labia majora can be more visible, especially after shaving or waxing.
In terms of what’s considered “normal”, the appearance of the vulva is all down to perception and personal expectations. But the fact is, like any part of your body; if you’re unhappy with it, you should be able to change it!
And even though every woman’s labia is different, one study found that almost 74% of the women surveyed with visible labia minora perceived their labia to be abnormal in appearance.(2)
WHAT IS LABIAL HYPERTROPHY?
In some cases, labial hypertrophy, or elongated labia, can cause discomfort and self-consciousness. This is especially true when we’re participating in more active exercise and activities. Elongation of the labia minora can cause:
- Painful intercourse (dyspareunia)
- Chronic urinary tract infections
- Hygienic difficulties
- Interference with sports(3)
Benefits of a Labiaplasty
LABIAPLASTY AT LE SPA
A labiaplasty is one of the most personal surgery decisions a woman can make. Reshaped labia could mean the difference between discomfort and comfort, embarrassment and confidence, frustration and peace of mind. We take pride in giving our patients the opportunity to reach their goals with privacy and dignity. At Le Spa, we provide you with the highest level of personalized care for the procedures that matter the most to you.
WHY DO WOMEN CHOOSE LABIAPLASTY?
In 131 patients undergoing labiaplasty, one study found that 32% sought surgery for functional impairment or discomfort, 37% sought surgery for aesthetic reasons, and 31% sought surgery for a combination of two or more of these factors.(3)
Candidates for Labiaplasty
Labiaplasty candidates are women who are unhappy with the appearance of their vulva and wish to reduce the size of their labia. It’s a beneficial procedure for women who have given birth vaginally, and for women who have experienced physical changes due to aging. If you’re self-conscious about your labia, or if you experience discomfort due to labial size, a labiaplasty could be an effective surgery for you.
We offer all of our patients a chance to meet with Dr. Frederick to discuss their requirements in depth. At your consultation, we’ll ask you to fill out some brief intake forms with some details of your medical history. We ensure every patient who wants an intimate surgery feels safe and welcome. Our team is here to help you feel comfortable and help you get the treatment you want so feel free to ask questions: there’s no need to be embarrassed. In a private consultation room, Dr. Frederick will conduct a pelvic examination. You can speak with him to explain how your longer labia affect your physical and mental health.
After Dr. Frederick has assessed the size and shape of your labia compared to the rest of the vulva, he will explain the surgical techniques available for your treatment and schedule your procedure date.
Dr. Frederick will provide a written information guide listing the things you’ll need to do before your labiaplasty procedure. For the best results, please follow these directions carefully. They include:
- Arrange time off from work with your employer and prepare your home for recovery. Every patient is different, but most people take between one and two weeks off to relax and recuperate.
- If you smoke, it’s important that you stop smoking before and after your procedure. Smoking affects circulation and nicotine usage of any kind could adversely impact your healing process.
- Stop or adjust the dosage of the medications you take. Some medications, particularly blood thinners and NSAID pain relievers can thin the blood and should be avoided until otherwise directed by Dr. Frederick.
- Arrange for a friend or relative to give you a ride to and from your surgery. Due to the lingering effects of anesthesia, you will not be able to drive yourself home.
- Wear loose-fitting comfortable pants (cotton pants are ideal) for ease of movement after your surgery.
Dr. Frederick will perform your labiaplasty with the technique that best suits your anatomy and aesthetic goals. There are two standard methods; the wedge excision and the trim technique.
WEDGE EXCISION TECHNIQUE
The wedge technique is a popular choice in labiaplasty surgeries. It reduces the size of the labia minora by removing a wedge-shaped section of tissue from the labia. Once this tissue has been excised, the surgeon skillfully reconstructs the remaining tissue to form a smaller, more discreet fold. Studies indicate the wedge technique is best suited for women with thinner, defined labial edges. (4)
Also known as an edge excision or linear labiaplasty, the trim technique allows for the removal of tissue from the outer edge of the labia minora. Compared to the wedge excision technique, the trim method may be a better surgical choice for women with darker, thicker labia.
Before your surgery, Dr. Frederick will make sure you know how he will be performing your labiaplasty, and the techniques he will use to reshape your vulva. You can discuss this aspect of your treatment and more at your one-on-one consultation at Le Spa.
- Wearing loose-fitting, comfortable undergarments to protect the healing area
- Waiting to use tampons until otherwise directed by Dr. Frederick
- Avoiding sexual intercourse for up to six weeks
- Avoiding pools and hot tubs until otherwise directed
- Refraining from strenuous activities that could irritate the area
Full healing from a labiaplasty procedure usually takes between 6 weeks and a few months.
Once patients are fully healed from surgery, they are able to feel and see the difference. More discreet labia minora allows our patients to regain their confidence and helps them lead their lives assuredly!
Cost of a Labiaplasty in Fort Lauderdale
The cost of your labiaplasty is calculated at your personal consultation with Dr. Frederick. If you would like more information on financing please visit our financing page. You can also read about our team and read real patient reviews on our website.
- illis, R. N., Wong, C. S., Pai, A., & Patel, B. C. (2021). Labiaplasty Minora Reduction. Retrieved from PubMed website: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK448086/
- Lykkebo, A. W., Drue, H. C., Lam, J. U. H., & Guldberg, R. (2017). The Size of Labia Minora and Perception of Genital Appearance: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease, 21(3), 198–203. https://doi.org/10.1097/LGT.0000000000000308
- Gowda, A. U., Chopra, N., & Khalifeh, M. (2015). Indications, Techniques and Complications of Labiaplasty. Eplasty, 15. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4544281/
- Furnas, H. J. (2017). Trim Labiaplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Global Open, 5(5), e1349. https://doi.org/10.1097/gox.0000000000001349